File downloads stop and restart

Get help from other users here.

Moderators: Developer, Contributor

sirbanks

File downloads stop and restart

Post by sirbanks »

I have a strange problem. My site was recently moved to a new server and everything seems to work except file download. Files will begin downloading, then pause for a few seconds and restart. They continue this cycle either until the file downloads or it finally fails. I have tried Firefox, Edge, Chrome, Opera with same results. Max download size and PHP settings are 650MB. Memory limit was 2G, changed to unlimited no effect. Larger file downloads are more evident and less likely to complete, but small ones can fail also. There is no repeatability when the download stops: it could be 12MB of 550MB or 530MB of a 550MB file. Then it restarts at zero and tries again. I used a browser file manager to access the uploads folder, located the 550MB file that fails, and have downloaded it 5 times with no restart or failure. But when I use MANTIS to try to download it fails. MANTIS version is 2.24.1, schema 210, PHP version 7.3.20. I should mention that I am saving uploads to DISK. Thanks in advance for any assistance.
sirbanks

Re: File downloads stop and restart

Post by sirbanks »

Sorry to reply to my own post, but this problem is baffling me. I have verified that I can download the file from my VPS browser-based file manager by going into the UPLOADS directory and downloading it. No problems. I can SFTP into the UPLOADS directory, locate the file and download it, no problems. All of this indicates to me it is not a server issue. But if I click any link from any of the issues pages to download the attachment, it will stop downloading after a time and then restart. I do think it is time related, although it is not a clearly repeatable duration before the download stops: I noticed that from my home, I get more of the file downloaded before it stops and restarts. I have a much faster Internet connection at home than at the office. Also, it is not browser dependent (tried many different browsers), it is not platform dependent (have tried Windows 10, 7, Android, IOS and Linux) and it is not region dependent (problems in India, Singapore, Poland, Canada and US). I have played with PHP settings, PHP versions (currently on 7.3, but have tried 7.0, 7.2 and 7.4). So what is left? When MANTIS passes the download to the browser, what am I missing? Any help is appreciated.